Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Verdict is Still Out For the Airlines' Giant Step

I had to really think about the value of all this. I'm very progressive when it comes to technology. And I fly a lot.

While my comfort to fly comes from being assured of my destination through my faith, it was also nice to know that pilots up front had manuals they could refer to when they needed to know something that would address any challenge to the plane being able to perform well, especially once up in the air.

Now along comes United and they tell me they're throwing out the manuals. They've replaced them with iPads (11,000 of them) -- one for each pilot and co-pilot. Bottom line is that this is supposed to save the environment and require less fuel. I get it. But it is also supposed to be 'safer' because it will be 'faster' to look up things on an iPad rather than through thousands of pages in several manuals. OK, I get that too.

But here's the "But". What happens when the iPad crashes (no, I don't mean with the plane). I mean when it has a system failure of its own. Wait, there's a back-up system. The co-pilot can search for what is needed.

Maybe this is a big positive Giant Step for mankind. And wow, with that extra fuel available, maybe we can reach the moon -- again. Overall, a good move unless any of you out there can find a fault I missed.  At the very least they're going with an Apple product rather than a PC.  (Sorry, I had to get that in there.)

United Airlines Launches Paperless Flight Deck With iPad - MarketWatch

Thanks for dropping by. Sign up to receive free updates. We bring you relevant information from all sorts of sources. Subscribe for free to this blog or follow us by clicking on the appropriate link in the right side bar. And please share this blog with your friends. Ken Godevenos, Church and Management Consultant, Accord Consulting.


It would be great if you would share your thoughts or questions on this blog in the comments section below or on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.