Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Day Made of Glass...

I'm 63 years old. I just came home from watching a remake of the movie True Grit -- you know the one that made John Wayne famous for his one-eyed role as a U.S.Marshal (the other was behind a black patch). This time it starred Jeff Bridges and chances are he may well be taking the Oscar for Best Actor. Anyway, I could handle that.  The movie provides some interesting insights into man's depravity when it comes to money and alcohol.  It also portryas a young 14-year old daughter out to revenge the death of her father.  WHEN I discover its redeeming value, I'll let you know.  Bottom line -- only worth seeing for nostalgic value providing your a fan of old John Wayne's. 

Then I come home and my buddy GP from FP (and elsewhere) leaves me this video that you can see in the link below. Now, this blows my mind. I knew Corning and the likes are up to this kind of stuff but as I watched it, I had to ask my self if I was really ready for this kind of future before I'm 70. I don't think I am.  Corning is pushing me though.

Take a look. Pass it on to others and leave us a note of what you think.

YouTube - A Day Made of Glass... Made possible by Corning.



-- Thanks for dropping by. Sign up to receive updates. -- Ken B. Godevenos, Church & Mgmt. Consultant, bringing you relevant information from all sorts of sources. Subscribe free to Epistoli or follow us by clicking on the appropriate link in the right side bar. And don’t forget to “share” this blog with your friends by clicking the “Share” link on your Navigation Bar.

It would be great if you would share your thoughts or questions on this blog in the comments section below or on social media.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not expecting to see all these things before you're 70. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's achievable. The cost of developing/installing some of these things will be huge. For example, they just added a few thousand dollars to the cost of a car that will still only last ten years. Some of these things will certainly begin to show up but only in the wealthiest of neighbourhoods - like the one the family in the film lived in.

    On a different slant, these things will increase the divide between rich and poor. Not only will these things be very expensive they will cost a fortune to maintain. We have a stove with the glass top and the elements below it. One day a pot was left on the surface with the heat on. The pot almost welded itself to the glass and now it is permanently scarred. Replacing that glass may cost more than the value of the appliance. There will be many who will not be able to afford these things and the cost of maintaining them. This will put increasing pressure on families trying to keep up and will drive more people into the debt cycle.

    Public entities will face pressure too. When a vandal breaks the glass on a bus shelter, he may be destroying the mapping system it contains as well – more financial sinkholes for the TTC to deal with.

    “All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient….”

    What a party-pooper I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right Karl. Mnny of these things will be available but not marketable easily. And for the ones that are -- they will indeed divide us even more. The next generation of poorer children will indeed start to feel even more so the lack of hope and the need to survive whatever way they can. And we know what that looks like as we look beyond the modern world to the rest of the globe. Only the return of the Savior will make the necessary difference -- and in the meantime, the love and care that each of us can provide one other such person until He does return.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment.