Thursday, June 05, 2008

Genesis 17:22 (The Deafening Silence)

Genesis 17:22: And when He finished talking with him, God went up from Abraham.

There comes a time when God concludes His discussions with us. He says His piece and then leaves it to us to decide. Sometimes the silence is deafening. Other times we have to deal with the perception, false as it may be, that we are alone without Him. In reality, He has only “gone up from” us, as He did with Abraham. He leaves us “our space” to act with our will. He does not leave the scene, but is still watching from above. This reminds me so much of what a good parent does. I cannot count the endless times I missed the opportunity to share my thoughts with my children, and then step back (or up) to watch what happens and still be there if needed, ready to step in. I know my father did not do that with me either and maybe that is where I modeled my unwise behavior in this regard. But by His grace, and perhaps out of necessity, I’ve changed my approach and can enjoy watching my adult children learn and make their own decisions. God, on the other hand, has been consistent in His approach with us from day one. Never take His silence as a forfeiture of His love and desired relationship with you.

It would be great if you would share your thoughts or questions on this blog in the comments section below or on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.