Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Deep Throat Identified after 33 Years

Who says Washington can't keep secrets? After 33 years, W. Mark Felt, the number two official at the FBI in the early 1970s, identified himself as the secret source who famously led two Washington Post reporters on a trail that brought down U.S. president Richard Nixon in the Watergate scandal, a sordid chapter in American political history.

If you were like me, you lived all these years wondering as to who Deep Throat was. In light of all the political scandals around the world these days, you probably wished that he was some senior political opponent or even an insider from Nixon's own party. But now that we know it was only an FBI agent as senior as he might have been -- well, heck, wasn't he just doing his job!

People are wild about wanting in on a secret until something becomes public and then usually it is not a big deal. As I write this piece, I wonder about other secrets: things the government never tells us; things the doctor holds back; things our children keep from us; the dark secrets of relatives, friends, and neighbors; and our very own personal secrets. We live in, believe it or not, a 'secret' society. Yet some secrets are necessary and we accept them as such; others are carried with hurt to our graves. How we deal with the different kinds of secrets in our lives is really an art that we each develop -- some better than others.

I'd rather live in a world where there were no secrets at all. But then again, that's so unrealistic in this world. There is, however, at least one person I know now with whom I have no secrets at all, and one time I await with wild anticipation when there will be no secrets.

In my relationship with Jesus Christ, I have no secrets. He and God his father know everything there is to know about me. They created me and have the master codebook on me. They know exactly how I operate, think, feel, etc. at all times. In addition, in their message to the world through Scriptures, I know there is coming a day when we too will know what they had in mind for mankind. At that time, their believers will finally live in a truly 'secret-free' world. And in it, there will be no need for us to have secrets from each other.

Some secrets last a few minutes as I'm finding out with my very young grandchildren; others last 33 years or more as in the case of Deep Throat. The secrets of the Ages are in the hands of the Almighty but a time will come when they too will be revealed.

It would be great if you would share your thoughts or questions on this blog in the comments section below or on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.